page contents

    Getting rid of your stuff can be liberating. We often have so many items and material possessions at home, they become clutter and constrain our space.

    I admit it. I have too much stuff at home. I got these items at one point in my life, I still remember how… and then, over the years, even if I don’t use them anymore, my mind stays attached to them.

    But it’s a fake attachment. It’s just some old crust of something that has been important for me once. There is no possible way I still use some of those items. Yet, sometimes it can be tough to let go. What if I still need the item later on?

    Here is what has worked for me in the past.

    #1 Select those items that you think you might be able to live without.

    #2 Put them out of sight –  into a shelf, the attic or the basement.

    #3 Six months later, look at the items. Whatever you don’t miss anymore you can either sell on eBay or throw away.

    I once had a huge number of books, a lot of them I did not read anymore, but I was hesitant to let them go. A couple of months later, I did not even remember I had put a box of several books into the basement. I gladly threw them out.

    Thus, if you don’t know whether you’d miss some items, simulate throwing them away, but keep them so you will be able to retrieve them. If you don’t miss half a year later, you can say goodbye to them for good.

     

    Summary of Day 19

    Below you will find

    (a) a quick description how I fared on my main goals – losing body fat, working on my blog, installing good habits;

    (b) my thoughts for the day;

    (c) how the rest of the program went and whether there were any irregularities or other noteworthy points.

    Day 19

    Losing body fat

    Body fat down to 22.4% again.

    Breakfast: Coffee, Protein shake, Eggs.

    Tomatoes and mozzarella for dinner.

    Today’s juice: Bok-Choy Ginger Lemonade, the second helping from the day before – stored in the fridge for 1.5 days. You can find the recipe here or in Juicing for Power. (*)

    Calisthenics routine:

    After push-up #38 in good shape, my body gave a “thud” and connected with the floor. I could absolutely not go on. I had to laugh. However – after a couple of seconds rest, I finished 120 push-ups out, all in good form. I had to take several breaks, but I was determined to finish 120 out – and then did one additional push-up, so the number came down to 121. 39 good form push-ups + 81 in ok form (half way down). Getting to 39 was goddamn hard, but I made it (if with a few breaks where I would just hold my body in place. It felt great pushing myself, no matter how long it took me. Next time I’ll be able to do more.

    120 squats in good form.

    120 sit-ups in good form.

    Working on my blog

    I wrote this blog post here.

    Habits

    (a) Emotional Health: I was eMailing a lot back and forth with my best friend from Germany, that was fun. These exchanges are one way for me to keep myself connected to the country I came from.

    (b) Spiritual Health: I continued the Happiness Habit. What was I grateful for?

    1. New ideas for eBooks.
    2. Meditation through free-writing.
    3. Getting inspired by letting my thoughts go uninhibited.

    (c) Mental Health.

    10 ways you can get rid of “stuff”.
    1. Sell your belongings.
    2. Put them out on the street.
    3. Give them away to random strangers on the street.
    4. Give them to the salvation army.
    5. Throw them away.
    6. Burn them.
    7. Send them away to random addresses via USPS.
    8. Destroy them and throw 90% of the pieces out, try to build a new piece from the remaining 10%.
    9. Make a garage sale.
    10. Donate them at work.

    Thoughts for the day

    What did I do well?
    I just enjoyed the additional holiday.

    What do I want to improve?
    It’s great that I can let go, however, I want to be more productive on these days. I want to get out of the mentality of working 9-to-5 and using the weekends and public holidays to do nothing.

    How will I improve?
    Reduce the number of goals on my list, so I can focus on getting everything down on my list

    The rest of the “30-Days of Discipline” items went fine.

    Video Summary Day 19

     

    To check the description of the “One Year of Discipline” challenge, click here.

    To see yesterday’s post, click here.

    To get back to the homepage, click here.

    (*) I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.