This is a look back at the second week of february and how I fared in my goals and my daily habits.
#1 – Career
(a) Lab work
We have made progress on our manuscripts. My colleagues have really pulled their weight, I am very proud of them. Now I have to stop doing experiments and focus on putting my figures together.
The most important experience for me was to not listen to music and podcasts at work – it made me more efficient, even though I had some “withdrawal symptoms”.
I implemented the “no music” policy after reading this blog post by Good Looking Loser – it did make a difference in my focus and efficiency at work.
(b) This blog
Frak it, once again I failed to post every day. One big reason for that, I believe, is a lack of sleep, which is in and of itself again a result from too many distractions. Thus, I am introducing a punitive measure. If I don’t manage to publish at least three blog posts this coming week, I will have close my Netflix account. This gets embarrassing.
In an ideal case though, I will manage the following in the coming week:
(a) I will keep my daily journal posts and focus more on my personal journey through One Year Of Discipline.
(b) I will keep the daily YouTube videos.
(c) I will post 2 or 3 articles of a more general interest per week.
(d) I will make my blog more homogenous and focus on the areas that I have experience in. (#1) – happiness and what it means for me; (#2) book reviews and biographies. (#3) articles about science. Politics, interesting research, careers.
#2 – Health
I was able to improve here. Starting at 21 properly done push-ups at the beginning of the week, I was able to go up to 30 proper push-ups – where my nose touches the ground. The goal until next sunday is to extend that number to 37. One more per day.
Squats and sit-ups worked out fine.
My body fat percentage has gone from 22.1% to 21.5%. Success! Until the end of next week, I want to be at 21.0%.
Not enough sleep, once again. I have to get 6 hours on average. If I don’t manage that, good-bye Netflix account.
#3 – Habits
Here is the list from 30 Days of Discipline – and how I fared:
1. Eat three meals or less: That went ok, although I rarely had steak. Often sandwiches or salads for lunch. Especially the sandwiches just cost money and contained too many carbs – so I will not buy any lunch at work, but rather have a good steak for dinner at home.
2. Get up between 5 and 7 am: Still too often too close to 7 am when I got up. I definitely want to get that back to 5 am and will be able to do so with enough sleep (see above).
3. Cold showers: With the cold weather outside, cold showers are not super pleasant, but I am still doing them. Every. Single. Day.
4. No Porn and Masturbation: No problem.
5. 100 push-ups/squats/sit-ups minimum: 120 each, every day. See above.
6. Dress to impress, dress for success: Never going out of the house in sloppy clothing.
7. Make a to-do list: I am now reducing the number of items on the list much more. No more than 10 per day.
8. Stand tall and proud: My posture is still good. Calisthenics help here.
9. No excuses/explanations/BS: Check.
10. Keep those ideas written down: See text box at the beginning of this chapter.
11. My purpose: Blog and work. I have talked about it in more detail above.
To check the description of the “One Year of Discipline” challenge, click here.
To get back to the homepage, click here.